Four positions available: Community Garden Events Coordinator; Start-Up Farm Program Assistant; Savour Ottawa Culinary Tourism position; Just Food Community Engagement Coordinator
FOUR SUMMER STUDENT OPPORTUNITIES
Location: Just Food, 2389 Pepin Court, Ottawa
Programs: Savour Ottawa; Community Gardening Network; Start-Up Farm Program
For more information about Just Food and these programs, please see www.justfood.ca
TO APPLY: Please send your resumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org before Friday, May 16 at 5 pm.
You must have the following subject heading in your email to be considered:
Summer Student Position
Please put both your resume and cover letter in one document.
Please indicate which positions you are interested in.
We will be interviewing for all positions together. The interview day is Friday May 23.
Summer Student Work Terms:
Positions A and B: Applicants for these positions must be post-secondary students who are returning to school after the summer work position. These positions will both run for 4 days/week, from May 26 to August 29.
Positions C and D: Applicants for these positions must be post-secondary students who are under 25 on the first day of work. Applicants must either be returning to school after the summer work position, or have graduated within 6 months of the first day of work. These positions are for 34 days of work. Days of work to be determined with supervisor, and most likely will be part-time for a longer number of weeks to have better coverage over the summer months.
All positions offer a rate of pay at $12/hour.
General Requirements (for all positions):
- Keen interest in, commitment to, and some knowledge of food/farming systems, community-based initiatives and community economic development
- Ability to work independently in an office environment
- Some ability to use WordPress and social media (Facebook, blogging, Twitter)
- Comfortable and confident in speaking with members of the public and initiative stakeholders
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to balance taking initiative with strong team communication skills
- Bilingualism is an asset.
The more you relate you personal skills and experience to what we’re looking for below, the better.
If you are interested in more than one position, make sure your cover letter and resume indicate this.
A) Community Garden Events Coordinator
This position will implement various program events of the Community Gardening Network, including coordination of children’s programming at area community gardens, and the Annual Community Garden Bicycle Tour.
With the guidance of a supervisor, the student will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Develop a plan and schedule for children’s programming at community gardens
- Facilitate children’s programming at several gardens
- Research and develop new children’s activities relating to gardening and food
- Develop a cycle tour route and coordinate logistics with participating community gardens
- Coordinate volunteers and event logistics
- Execute the bicycle tour on the selected day
- Conduct outreach to promote CGN program and events
- Support other Community Gardening events, such as food preservation workshops and the CGN fall AGM.
B) Start-Up Farm Program Assistant
Just Food’s newest initiative, the Start-Up Farm Program, offers access to land, equipment, and training to assist new farmers in the region in developing successful farm businesses. This position will give you an opportunity to assist in expanding the program in its second year, with a focus on outreach and recruitment, educational supports, and participating in fieldwork. This position requires the ability to perform unskilled physical labour outdoors, under supervision.
Under the supervision of the Farm Programs Manager, the student will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Organize and promote an open house at the farm for the general public
- Organize and promote a guided media tour for local media to visit the farm
- Coordinate outreach and registration for educational workshops at the Just Food Farm on beekeeping, permaculture, organic agriculture, and other topics
- Conduct outreach to recruit new participants for the Start Up Farm Program, including an information session, print and online materials
- Develop and update website and social media content for the Just Food Farm
- Supporting fieldwork, including assisting with lawn-cutting and general property maintenance tasks.
C) Savour Ottawa Culinary Tourism position
Savour Ottawa is an award-winning culinary tourism initiative that creates economic development opportunities for local agricultural and food businesses. This position will work on culinary tourism initiatives at Just Food, including coordination of Savour Ottawa’s annual public event, the Harvest Table. This position will give you an opportunity to learn about local economic development, agriculture, local businesses and much more!
With the guidance of a supervisor the student will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Coordinating logistics (site, food, volunteers, etc), promotions, and ticket sales for the event;
- Working with local Savour Ottawa producers and restaurateurs to source and prepare food for the event;
- Recruiting new members for Savour Ottawa and supporting all members through promotion and marketing initiatives;
D) Just Food Community Engagement Coordinator
The Just Food Farm is a working farm in the Ottawa Greenbelt that currently houses 14 agricultural projects. These include a Start Up Farm program, which offers access to land, equipment and training to support new farmers in developing successful farm businesses. We also host partnership programs that allow diverse groups such as at-risk youth and new Canadians to build farming skills and knowledge.
The Community Engagement Coordinator will implement public outreach and educational initiatives to increase public access to and awareness of the Just Food Farm as an urban, accessible agri-tourism destination and learning centre, and of the Savour Ottawa program, as a culinary tourism initiative promoting Ottawa and region as a culinary destination to locals and visitors.
• Develop and implement website, social media and print content for both Just Food Farm and Savour Ottawa, including seasonal marketing materials for local food and culinary tourism opportunities (farmer’s markets, farm visits and tours, etc).