Just Food seeks volunteers to serve on the Board of Directors
Just Food seeks volunteers, including a volunteer Treasurer, to serve on the Board of Directors (terms are typically 3 years in duration).
We welcome people from diverse backgrounds, and in this call, we are explicitly looking for a maximum of three candidates, including:
- a Treasurer, ideally with experience in financial oversight for small, non-profit organizations, and with a collaborative spirit to help build a community-based organization. (Familiarity with QuickBooks an asset.) As a part of the Executive Committee, the Treasurer meets with the Chair, Secretary and Executive Director on a bi-monthly basis, alternating with bi-monthly meetings of the full Board.
Other expertise we are looking for:
- Fundraising experience
- Knowledge and expertise regarding food access among low-income communities
Just Food is led by a volunteer Board of Directors (“the Board”). We are a working Board with the mandate to determine Just Food’s mission and policies, provide strategic direction and oversight of its activities, and ensure organizational accountability, in order to support our staff who manage and perform the operations of the organization. Please read the Just Food Policies and Procedures for detailed information on the role and responsibilities of Directors.
All Board members must have:
- Commitment to Just Food’s goals and values;
- Ability to commit a minimum of 6 hours per month to Just Food (more for Executive Committee members);
- Knowledge of local context (important); and,
- Experience in community-based non-profit organizational management.
Ideally, the new members will also have:
- Food system issues knowledge/analysis (desirable); and,
- Background in one or another of Just Food areas of work.
Interested? Please send us a paragraph (maximum 350 words) introducing yourself and your experience, and telling us why you think you could make a positive contribution as one of Just Food’s Board of Directors, to Patricia.Ballamingie@carleton.ca by September 20, 2015.
Be sure to create the subject line: Just Food Board of Directors – Expression of Interest. All interested parties will be contacted. The selected candidates would then be presented to Just Food members for election at the upcoming Annual General Meeting this fall, 2015. We look forward to hearing from you!