Just Food Farm Site Developer
Hours: 31.5 hrs/week position for 8 weeks, July 3-August 24, 2018.
Compensation: $15/hour + 4% vacation pay
Eligibility Requirements: Applicants MUST:
- be under 30 years of age at the start of the employment
- have been registered as full-time students in the previous academic year
- intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year.
This position is part of the Canada Summer Jobs grant stream with Employment and Social Development Canada.
TO APPLY: All of the following must be met:
– Please send your résumé and cover letter within one attached document to email@example.com by June 22 hat 5:00 pm.
–Résumés will be reviewed as they come in and we will schedule interviews and hire as soon as we have a successful candidate.
– Your email must have the subject line “Summer Student Hiring” for it to be considered
– 3 references must be provided on request.
This position will support the development of the Just Food Community Farm, a non-profit demonstration and training farm. The Just Food Farm Site Developer will have a variety of tasks related to farm site management, including:
- Site management (including field preparation with BSC and lawnmower, working with others on property maintenance, monitoring farm infrastructure – including water use)
- Conduct soil nutrient tests
- Design & implement fertility/crop plan for summer on entire farm
- Manage demonstration seed variety trials
- Rogue and select demonstration seed adaptation crops
- Develop a plan for new sugar bush management
- Interest in, and able to, work in both outdoor and indoor environments
- A background in agriculture, horticultural, or geography/environmental
- Ability to work both independently and with strong team communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to take initiative
- Interest in, commitment to, and some knowledge of food/farming systems and community- based initiatives.
For more information about Just Food, please see www.justfood.ca