95 Acre Beautiful Organic Farm with Mature Forest For Sale
32 years of organic farmland and white pine forest, close to Ottawa.
Shovel-ready! Get ready to farm for your 2020 season! A rare find, top-notch organic 95.3-acre property with a 5-bedroom, 1344 square ft bungalow house, 1 1/2 baths, wood stove and new furnace, 2-car garage, gorgeous 40-ft hardwood beam century barn with hydro and water, two barns in one measures 2900 square ft.; 65 acres well-maintained farmland with Grenville loam soil, 14 tree-lined fields, 22 acres of 30-year-old mature white pine plantation. Possibility to include a 12-head tame cattle herd trained to the land as part of the sale – they are the best-trained cattle you can find! Farming equipments purchase can be considered.
On the edge of and only 25 minutes to Ottawa, in Crysler, Ontario.
For 32 years, the Kelly Farm has been managing the land organically, with diverse livestock, including cattle, sheep, pigs, chickens, turkeys, etc. The seeds and feed were purchased from Homestead Organics, and the 65-acre fields were maintained and rotated exceptionally well and used for pasture and hay. Beautiful Grenville loam soil all over rich in organic matters, these fields are ready for diversified farming of all kinds. There are many possibilities of organic farming and permaculture – vegetables, perennials, chickens, poultry, seed production, orchard… The farm is confirmed pesticide and herbicide free since 1987, and probably before that! All the records are well-kept, and the farm could be certified organic shortly.
One highlight is the 22-acre of 30-year-old white pine forest, both tranquil and full of potentials! There are also many productive fruit trees – wild apples, butternuts, berries, and more! A rare find in this area, the land and forest as a healthy ecosystem provides numerous possible uses, as apiary, food forest, silvopasture, agroforestry, retreat, for mushrooms, woodland plants, and more!
Testimony from the farmer:
“I have farmed the land at N1/2 Lot 5 Con 10 N Stormont for 32 yrs using approved organic methods. To fertilizer the fields, I used the manure from my animals, beef cows, sheep, pigs, layer hens, and meat chickens. My animals had free access to shelter and the outdoors. My fields are tree-lined. I bought seed for crops and hay from Homestead Organic Mill, Berwick Ont. I bought feed for my animals and chickens from this same mill. After Homestead Organic Mill closed, I bought certified organic grain from the feed store in Finch and Metcalfe.” Larry Kelly
Ideally, the current owners are looking for a buyer who fully appreciates the rarity and value of this chemical-free land and the value of the forests. The owners wish to sell to another farm family who is interested in keeping the farm in organic production. The owners are very willing to train and pass on their knowledge, including keeping the cattles so their herd can stay on the land.
14390 Concession Rd 10 & 11, Chrysler, ON K0A 1R0
The farm is 5 minutes to Crysler, an active bilingual community, with elementary schools, public library, community centre, and churches. It is 15 minutes to Embrun and Casselman, larger towns with grocery stores, department stores, gyms, and highschools. 25 minutes will bring you into Ottawa. Close to Highway 417, which connects Ottawa and Montreal, which makes the farm location ideal for agrotourism. The farm is 5 minutes away to Cannamore Orchard, and 10 minutes away to St. Albert Cheese Co-op, two of the most popular agrotourism destinations in the area.
The property has:
- Primary residence: 1344 square ft 1975 bungalow, measures 28’x48′, with three bedrooms on the main floor and two bedrooms in the basement. Basement unfinished with 2 finished bedrooms. 1 1/2 baths. All appliances included. Woodstove on the main floor, and backup new propane furnace (January 2019). Two drilled wells with very good water – never dry.
- Garage: two car 728 square ft detached garage.
- Barn: the barn is an older framed one, with 40-ft hardwood beams, used for hay storage and shelter for the animals. It is 2 barns in one, measures 50’x30′ and 36’x39′. Has hydro and water.
- 14 fields, totaling 65 acres, are tree-lined, rich with well-maintained Granville loam and organic matter, ready for diversified farming of all kinds;
- 22-acre 30 year-old pine plantation and walkable forest;
- 12 head cattle herd is an option as part of sale (6 shorthorn adults, + 6 yearlings + 1 calf all with some Shorthorn and/or Speckled Park)
- Some equipment may also be an option to be part of sale.
Business and income possibilities
- Organic commercial market garden
- Organic cattle, sheep, chickens, other poultry, pigs, and other livestock.
- Food forest products – apples, berries, mushroom, herb.
- Forest school.
- Forest retreat. Healing garden.
*+ HST with the following note:
Selling Farmland to a Person Who Is Not Registered for the HST
If the purchaser of the farmland is not registered for the HST, the seller is required to collect the HST generated by the sale and remit it to the Canada Revenue Agency. If farmland will be used in a farming business, the purchaser can register for the HST and claim an input tax credit in order to recover the HST paid on the purchase of the farmland. Normally, Canada Revenue Agency will backdate a registration for up to 30 days. http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/busdev/facts/11-053.htm
If you have been thinking of buying a farm for organic production, contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org) as this is indeed a rare find. JustFood.ca can support farms in the regions if you need information and/or support to start-up farmers.