“Gardening takes some time and efforts, but the rewards are many! Lots of flowers and organic food! Anyone can do it! So get a pot or plot, and enjoy gardening!” – Rob Danforth
To watch in full screen, click the icon in the top right corner of the video.
In this very informative session, Rob Danforth shares his extensive knowledge and experience to help build a successful home good garden in a backyard or front yard. Community gardeners who grow in-ground, in raised bed or box bed will find the information very useful as well.
Rob started with home garden basic requirements, how to choose growing spots, water arrangement, tools, composting and storage. Then he discusses garden planning, different kinds of garden plots and beds, common garden best practices. Rob goes through the whole process of starting seeds to fertilizers to watering to garden maintaining to harvesting to final clean up. Packed with insights and useful information, this session is suitable for both beginner and experienced gardeners.
Rob Danforth, experienced urban organic vegetable/herb gardener:
- Backyard (45 yrs. & on-going)
- Gloucester Allotment Gardens (14 yrs.)
- Arrowsmith Community Gardens & Gloucester Emergency Food Cupboard garden (7 yrs.)
Instructor (seminars, articles, workshops, & consultation booths) for:
- Just Food Community Garden Network (8 yrs.)
- Canadian Organic Growers Ottawa Chapter (9 yrs.)
- Senior Organic Gardeners (3 yrs. + on-going advisor)
- private bookings (7 yrs.)
TO LEARN MORE
Rob’s published gardening articles on Canadian Organic Growers since 2016 can be found on https://www.cog.ca/ottawa/down-to-earth-newsletter/
- “Colorado Potato Beetle,” Summer 2016
- “Box Beds,” Winter 2017
- “In-door Germination,” Spring 2017
- “Composting,” Fall 2017
- “Bug Hotels & Restaurants,” Dec. 2017
- “Weed Wisdom,” March 2018
- “Mulches — pluses and minuses,” June 2018
- “Cutworms, the lumberjacks of the in-ground Vegetable Garden,” Dec. 2018
- “Self-watering Containers,” March 2019
- “Eco-friendly Watering” June 2019
- “The Cold Frame, a Gardening Advantage” Sept 2019
- “Garden Tools” Dec.2019
- “Planning for no-till gardening,” March 2020.
Read more on Front Yard Edible Gardening from Just Food website HERE.
Copyright © 2020 Just Food Ottawa and Rob Danforth. All rights reserved.
Music used with royalty-free licencing.