New Garden Plots Available at the Commons!
Serious about growing food? Looking for space to grow more than the average community garden or backyard plot will allow?
Just Food is launching a new project called The Commons – with larger plots dedicated to increasing community food production.
First site: Just Food Farm – 2391 Pepin Court in Blackburn Hamlet.
Other sites opening in the Fall in the West and South of Ottawa for 2020.
20 plots are available this year, with long-term access.
Maximum of one plot per household.
Size: Each plot is approximately 250 m2 (or 2,700 ft2 or 1/16 of an acre)
Cost: $350+HST per year
- Two workshops at Just Food Farm covering crop planning, soil fertility, water conservation and use of the Just Food Farm are required for each first-time Commons member.
- We will take all names up to February 25, 5:00pm, and if there are more than 20 households at that point, we will choose 20 names from a hat, moving other names to a waiting list. We will add any names from February 25, on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Priority will be given to East-end Ottawa residents.
- Accessing 2391 Pepin Court in Blackburn Hamlet is possible by OC Transpo #94 and there is free parking on site.
- Please note: If you already have a community garden plot in Ottawa, you need to give up your existing spot, to support the common objective of creating more space for more households in Ottawa to participate in food production.
- Please wait for confirmation from Just Food that you have received a new Commons plot before leaving your current community garden. If this is a problem (ie. you have to confirm our plot at your existing garden before Feb 25), please let us know which garden you are a part of.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for any of the following reasons:
- If you would like further information.
- If you would like to apply (Please include your name, address, and contact information in the email).
- If you would like a plot but can’t afford one (There will be sponsored plots available in 2019, based on success of raising funds. We will keep your name on a waiting list for these plots).