Job Offer for: Assistant – Community Economic Development
40 hrs/week x $18/hr @ $37,440 FTE
6 month contract, with strong potential for renewal
Must meet Green Jobs Criteria (subsidized program with criteria set by government):
- Be a graduate from a post-secondary institution within the last three years;
- Be between the ages of 15-30 (inclusive at the start of the placement);
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or hold refugee status;
- Be legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial legislation and regulations; and
- Not be in receipt of Employment Insurance at the start of your placement.
- You must be ready and able to start work in Ottawa in December, with good time given off (including paid stats) for holiday season.
- Assist with the Savour Ottawa initiative: marketing and promotions, event coordination, outreach and communications
- Assist with Ottawa 2017 Agri-150 Rural Tourism events
- Conduct tourism-readiness assessments with rural businesses in the region
- Support existing Just Food social enterprises (Community Food Hub, OttawaKitchen.ca, etc.)
- Write reports as required
Must have the following skills and qualifications:
- Keen interest in, commitment to, and some knowledge of both local agriculture sector and community economic development
- Strong event planning experience
- Experience in community-based initiatives
- Experience in outreach, marketing and promotions within community setting
- Excellent writing and editing skills in English.
- Strategic thinking and ability to think on one’s feet
- Ability to work independently and in a multi-use office environment
- Ability to effectively use standard electronic office tools, including social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter)
- Comfortable and confident in speaking with members of the public and stakeholders in English (by phone, in-person and by email). Ability to speak French conversationally considered an asset, but not required.
- Excellent writing skills in English
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task
- Very strong attention to detail
- Ability to balance taking initiative with strong team communication skills
Hours and Location:
Monday-Friday with some weekends and evenings based on needs of program.
The position requires flexibility regarding working locations. Working mostly from home until the growing season opens, at which point The Just Food Farm (2389 Pépin Court, Blackburn Hamlet, Ottawa) will also be a base. There will be many meetings out in the community. This position is a city-wide, region-wide position, that requires access to a vehicle part-time for rural meetings.
2389 Pépin Court, Blackburn Hamlet, Ottawa (Just Food Farm)
*Working from your home is also required for while new offices are constructed.
*There is a strong preference for people who are interested in these positions over several years.
TO APPLY – All of the following must be met:
- Please send your resumé and cover letter within one attached document to email@example.com asap and no later than Friday, December 8, 2016.
- Your email must have the subject line “Application Nov 2016 – Your Name” for it to be considered.
- Contact information for 3 references must be provided within your resumé.
- Interviews will be scheduled as soon as we identify qualified candidates, and no later than December 13.
We thank all applicants for their interest.
All those who apply will be contacted by email to let you know if you were selected or not for an interview.