Just Food seeks dedicated food systems volunteers to serve on our Board of Directors (terms are 3 years in duration, and can be renewed once to a 6-year maximum).
We welcome people from diverse backgrounds, and in this call for expressions of interest, we are looking for a Treasurer, as well as 2-3 additional new Board members with some combination of the following:
- Fundraising and/or sponsorship experience
- Knowledge and expertise regarding food access among low-income communities
- Advocacy experience related to food and/or agricultural policy
- Knowledge of food-related social-enterprise governance
- Experience in a non-profit organization working with government
Just Food is led by a volunteer Board of Directors (“the Board”). We are a working Board with the mandate to determine Just Food’s mission and policies, provide strategic direction and oversight of its activities, ensure organizational accountability, and to support our staff – who manage and perform the operations of the organization. Please read the Just Food Policies and Procedures for detailed information on the role and responsibilities of Directors, and the Just Food Constitution and our Vision, Mission and Mandate for more information on Just Food and how it is governed.
All Board members must be:
- Committed to Just Food’s goals and values;
- Able to commit a minimum of 4 hours per month to Just Food (more for Executive Committee members);
- Knowledgeable of the local food context (important); and,
- Members of Just Food.
Ideally, the new Board members will also have:
- Experience in community-based non-profit organizational management;
- Food system issues knowledge/analysis (desirable);
- Background in one or another of Just Food areas of work; and,
- Experience with Just Food (e.g., as a member or volunteer).
Interested? Please send us a paragraph (maximum 350 words) introducing yourself and your experience, and telling us why you think you could make a positive contribution as one ofJust Food’s Board of Directors, along with a current CV, to email@example.com by Monday April 29, 2019. Interviews are expected to will take place early May.
In your submission, be sure to create the subject line: Just Food Board of Directors – Expression of Interest. All interested parties will be contacted. The selected candidates would be presented as a recommended slate to Just Food members for election at the upcoming Annual General Meeting. We look forward to hearing from you!